Στείρωση - Ακράτεια

Discussion in 'Στείρωση Κατοικιδίων' started by gikkat, Feb 26, 2007.

1. gikkat

gikkat New Member

Κτηνίατρος μου πρότεινε να στειρώσω τη σκυλίτσα μου, αφού πρώτα κάνει την πρώτη της περίοδο γιατί όπως μου είπε έχει παρατηρηθεί πως ένα 10% των σκυλιών που στειρώνονται πριν την πρώτη περίοδο παρουσιάζουν ακράτεια ούρων...
    Γνωρίζει κανείς κάτι για το θέμα???
    Agnes???
  2. BlueWolf

BlueWolf New Member

Από τη στιγμή που στο είπε ο πλέον ειδικός, ο κτηνίατρος δηλαδή, γιατί δεν τον εμπιστεύεσαι? Εκτός και αν δεν εμπιστεύεσαι τον συγκεκριμένο σαν κτηνίατρο οπότε καλύτερα να τον αλλάξεις.
    Για την ιστορία πάντως και εγώ έχω ακούσει πως είναι καλύτερα να έρθει μια φορά περίοδος και μετά να γίνεται η στείρωση. Δεν θυμάμαι το λόγο αλλά θυμάμαι πως μου το είχε πει κι εμένα η κτηνίατρος.
    Έχεις κάποιο λόγο που βιάζεσαι να τη στειρώσεις?
    Η δικιά μου σκύλα πάντως άλλαξε αρκετά ο χαρακτήρας της, προς το καλύτερο, μετά την πρώτη περίοδο.
    Γιώργος.
  3. gikkat

gikkat New Member

to thema den einai oti den ton ebistevomai... isa-isa... allios den tha pigaina ekei ta zoakia mou. apla epeidi den to eixa ksanakousei to ethesa san thema...
    oso gia ti viasyni, epeidi den skopevo na ti zevgaroso psaxno kai enimeronomai gia to pote einai kalytera gia to skyli na steirothei... giati an kai exo empeiria me skylia (eixa ap' oso thimamai ton eafto mou), einai i proti fora pou exo thiliko... me tis gates einai ligo diaforetika ta pragmata (nai exo kai gates...) kai eipa na to psakso ligaki parapano to thema... :D
  4. agnes

agnes New Member

Sterilization & etc....

Hello,

I wrote before some days that for somebody else from forum ,but I hope,it will help you.
    And something else...the dogs are also changing the character, because they are growing up, not only because they have first hit.

so....

I read everything what you wrote about your experience with sterilization etc...of a female dog. And I thought, I'll write something, to make the things more clear for all of you.

So....let's begin

STERILIZATION

WHEN SHOULD WE DO IT?

If our dog is not a dog for breeding and we don't want to "make" new dogs, because on the streets we have enough of them, we should make the sterilization BEFORE the first heat - it is about the age of 5 - 6 months. That early sterilization will make lower the risk for mammary tumors - 0,05%. So it is the best time to do it.
    After the first heat the risk is higher - 8% , between 2nd and 4th it is 26%.

ADVANTAGES

1. No pyometra
    2. No false pregnancy
    3. No cancer in reproductive tract
    4. No mammary cancer
    5. No estrogen - connected hair - coat problems

DISADVANTAGES

1. Putting on weight - we can manage it with special diet
    2. Small percent of dogs may develop urinary incontinence - there are medicines to manage it

AND NOW SOMETHING FOR THE MAMMARY TUMOR...

1. 50- 60 % are benign.

2. They can make metastasis to another organs and lymph nodes.

3. The mammary glands should be palpated as often as possible by the owner

4. The mammary glands are "connected" and there are procedures how we have to manage the mammary tumor while operation.

5. If the cancer - cells will go to lymph nodes the prognosis is very bad.

6. We are doing biopsy to check the kind of tumor. If it's malignant - the operation should be made after 3-6 months we saw the tumor for the first time

7. Chemotherapy is not as successful for dogs like for the humans.

8. Before mastectomy it is important to make x-ray of lungs to see if there are no metastasis .

9. Sometimes we should also make X-ray or ultrasound of other organs.

10. The post - operation care is very important. We should make the x-ray after 1,3,6,12,24 months .

Many greetings,
    Agnes
  5. agnes

agnes New Member

urinary incontinence

Hello once again,

today I'll continue with urinary incontinence after spaying....
    The truth is that every spayed beach may be affected and the studies say that beaches spayed after puberty are more often affected than beaches spayed before . So early neutering seems to be advantage also here.

Beside also the beaches that are not spayed may have urinary incontinence....

Many greetings,
    Agnes
  6. elpi

elpi New Member

hello agnes!!!

i have a question, more out of curiosity than anything else..

i am well aware of the positive effects of spaying and neutering before the first heat at the age of 5 to 6 months old...and i know that there are no urinary related implications..i am an animal welfare volunteer,so no need to preach to the converted :p

but i have the following question:

can you tell me about the effects of what they call prepubertal neutering? i knew that in the states, they wanted to fix stray puppies before giving them up for adoption, and there was a huge debate on the effects of neutering on the urithra at the age of eg. two months old. i know that the university of florida conducted a study about that, and that a number of academics had published papers on the issue.

can you tell me where they stand on that now?i mean just out of curiosity, because i read that vets abroad do perform sterilizations at an age well before that of 5 months old.

any new findings? i just wanted to know
    thanx!!!!
  7. gikkat

gikkat New Member

agnes hi...

although I've read your previous post I didn't pay any attention to the part of urinary incontinence that you 've mentioned... :oops: :smt021

anyway thanx a lot 4 your concern :)
    now, I have another question for you as well...

my 11month old female puppy hasn't come into heat yet... is that normal??? my vet told me she's a bit late but because she was nervous during the last week we assumed that the "time had come" but now she's back to normal and I'm worried about her...
    any suggestions??? are there any related medical tests???

thanx in advance...
  8. agnes

agnes New Member

Hello,

The age of puberty by dogs is 5-24 months. Proestrus takes 7-10 days, estrus 6-12 (average) so .... to tell you the truth I can't tell you if that nervous - symptoms of your dog was that, what you were thinking....
    There are tests - you can check the cells under the microscope for example. But if you want to neuter her - make it now. It's the best time anyway.

Many greetings,
    Agnes
  9. aristea

aristea Active Member

Hi Agnes,

My dog is a male beagle 10 months. I am interested in sterilization but I am not informed for the disadvantages for the male dogs.

Could you please let me know?

Thank you in advance.
    Konstantina :)